FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
September 26, 2017
Spokane, Wash. — Recovery Café Spokane is bringing Hands Across the Falls to Spokane Saturday, September 30. The event is designed as a public show of support celebrating recovery.
“This is the first of its kind in Spokane,” said Kathy Thamm, Executive Director of Community-Minded Enterprises, the parent organization of Recovery Café Spokane. “We want this event to be a way for members of the community to show their support for those who have overcome addiction.”
Organizers expect several hundred attendees. The first 500 will receive a commemorative medal. Family, friends and individuals who support recovery are encouraged to attend.
Those attending are asked to gather on either side of the Monroe Street Bridge – Kendall Yards to the North and Main Avenue at the Spokane Club to the South. Recovery Café Spokane asks that people arrive by 11:30am to receive final instructions.
Just before noon, the crowds gathered at each end will be led onto the bridge by a drum team from the Spokane Tribe and a color guard. At noon, everyone will join hands and stand quietly for four minutes while bells ring from Our Lady of Lourdes Cathedral.
The public is invited to attend an open house at Recovery Café Spokane, which is located in the old Peaceful Valley Community Center, 214 N Cedar St. The café is getting a makeover September 25-28 courtesy of KXLY and the Extreme Team. This will be the public’s first chance to see the renovated café. There will also be resources available for people interested in recovery services and supports in Spokane.
- A shuttle will be available for those who have difficulty walking.
- My Fresh Basket is offering anyone with a medal a free 8-ounce cup of coffee and 5% off purchases on September 30.
- Attendees can show their support online, by providing their name, email address and organization if affiliated with one. (Email addresses will not be made public)
- September is National Recovery Month.
- Hands Across the Falls is modeled after events in other cities, like Hands Across the Bridge, which draws a large crowd in Vancouver, Washington.
This event would not be possible without the support of United Healthcare Community Plan and AscendA.
About Recovery Café Spokane
Recovery Café Spokane is a project of the Spokane based non-profit Community-Minded Enterprises.
It was founded in February 2017 with a mission to serve people in recovery. Programs are designed to help people maintain their recovery, reduce relapses, fulfill their potential and reclaim their lives.
Membership is FREE and open to anyone. Members are required to:
- Be 24-hours alcohol and drug free
- Attend a weekly Recovery Circle
- Help out at the café or support a member
Recovery Café Schedule
- Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays at noon – free lunch for members
- Fridays at 10:30am – new member orientation
Contact Recovery Café Spokane at (509) 960-8529 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Find us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/RecoveryCafeSpokane/.