FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
September 12, 2018
Hands Across the Falls Returns to Spokane, Saturday, September 29th
Hundreds expected to line the Monroe Street Bridge to Celebrate Recovery
Spokane, Wash. — Hands Across the Falls (HAF) returns to Spokane Saturday, September 29 on the iconic Monroe Street Bridge. Recovery Café Spokane, the host for the event, created HAF as a public show of support celebrating recovery.
This event is for anyone – those touched by addiction or not. “Recovery should be celebrated,” said Georgia Butler, Director of Recovery Community Services at the Café. “Seeking help is a sign of strength not weakness,” added Butler.
Attendees are encouraged to bring a banner in support of recovery. Those connected with a treatment agency are encouraged to wear a shirt with their organization’s logo.
Last year HAF brought out more than 450 people; 2018 promises to be even larger, with more sponsors and agencies signing on to take part.
Logistics and Timeline
- Those attending are asked to gather on the Northside of Monroe Street Bridge. Due to construction, south end access is discouraged.
- Recovery Café Spokane asks that people arrive by 11:30am to receive final instructions.
- Just before noon, attendees will be led onto the bridge.
- At noon, a firetruck will sound a horn signifying the start of the event. At that time, everyone will join hands and stand quietly for four minutes.
- Immediately following, there will be a Resource Fair at the lot on the Northside of the bridge, with all kinds of great information. Food truck vendors will also be on site.
To mark the event, attendees will receive a commemorative medal. Hands Across the Falls shirts will also be available for purchase.
This event would not be possible without the support of Amerigroup, United Healthcare, Molina and American Behavioral Health Services.
About Recovery Café Spokane
Recovery Café Spokane is a project of the Spokane based non-profit Community-Minded Enterprises.
It was founded in February 2017 with a mission to serve people in recovery. Programs are designed to help people maintain their recovery, reduce relapses, fulfill their potential and reclaim their lives.
Membership is FREE and open to anyone. Members are required to:
- Be 24-hours alcohol and drug free
- Attend a weekly Recovery Circle
- Help out at the café or support a member
Recovery Café Schedule
- Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays at noon – free lunch for members
- Fridays at 10:30am – new member orientation
Contact Recovery Café Spokane at (509) 960-8529 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Find us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/RecoveryCafeSpokane/.